Re: Forcing use of an index

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:28:02 GMT

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:59:52 -0800, Bob P wrote:

> I had a brain fart (working on too many different platforms at once), I
> saw CBO and thought of Common Business Objects.
>
> Yes we ae using the Cost Base optimizer.

Thank the stars.

> I don't have any choice on the query, it HAS to have the leading and
> trailing %'s because the data entry field that I am searching is a free
> form field that the users enter data into.

There is one remote possibility I can think of, but it involves a huge amount of work and will likely not be accepted as it changes the dictionary: create an application domain index (similar in concept to the spatial or text index). See the "Oracle9i Data Cartridge Developer's Guide", chapter 7. It's a variant on the method Jim proposed.

But, I'd seriously consider leaving the project behind. The apparent users' attitude suggests that you are in a lose-lose situation.

/FGB Received on Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:28:02 CST