Re: Need help!

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:10:58 GMT

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:59:08 -0800, Jim Kennedy wrote:

> In Oracle readers don't block writers. Sounds like a SQLServer DBA
> thinks they understand how Oracle works.
> Jim

That was my first reaction as well.

Then I realized the DBA might be trying to use 'statistics' to get the OP to conform to the BrioQuery model instead of going off on a tangent using Access and data extracts. Statements like "because I need to update the data in our local DB" and "I don't could use Brioquery because it is cumbersome" together with the response sounds a bit like politics and "I can do it better than IT" positioning.

So - under normal operations, the DBA's answer (or at least OP's interpretation of the answer) appears to be nonsense. The OP's operations, however, could be causing performance issues if there are insufficient or competing resources (CPU, memory, disk contention, etc.)

/FGB Received on Wed Mar 16 2005 - 22:10:58 CST