Need help!

From: J <jungnaja_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:53:02 -0500

I don't know how to ask this question. Well, I will give you information and hope someone can help me with this.

We have an Oracle database for reporting. We all have READ access to this data warehouse. Most people will use Brioquery tool to access this data, but I used Microsoft Access via ODBC because I need to update the data in our local DB with the data returned from my queries running against the data warehouse. I don't could use Brioquery because it is cumbersome for my particular need.

One of the people at work told me this:

The entire warehouse is stored in one location, and using any tool

other than Brioquery keeps others from being able to query against

the data when you run a row by row type of query to extract the

data you need.

Can anyone explain the above statements, please?

Since this database is designed for reporting, I don't see how I kept others from being able to query against the data when I ran MS Access queries against the data warehouse? There is no record-level locking when you use SELECT command, isn't this correct? BTW, this is not a performance issue.

He claimed that the statistic told him the number of hits by me is 2.5 millions in Feb, which is hard to believe. If a "hit" means a time I run the query, in order to reach 2.5 million hits, I have to run a query every second every day for 28 days.

Thanks,

J Received on Wed Mar 16 2005 - 21:53:02 CST