Re: Newbie question - how do I choose my working directory?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2005 16:41:37 -0800

Paul wrote:
> "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Mark gave you a pointer for GUI sqlplus...
>

> GUI sqlplus??? There isn't much of a GUI! It's the spit of 3.1
> interface (a poor one at that!!!!)...

That is why most people don't like it. It's just there for the newbies or someone who is not comfortable at the command line.

> > I on the other hand only use
> >command line sqlplus. I have created a simple batch script to launch
> >sqlplus which just gives me a bit of control to change my working
> >directory. You can substitute sqlplus with sqlplusw to use GUI
version.
> >This will only work on NT/2K/XP/2K3,
>
> >@echo off
> >set workdir=C:\My_Working_dir
> >echo Specify working directory or hit enter to choose default
%workdir%
> >echo.
> >set /P workdir=
> >echo Working dir: %workdir%&echo.
> >cd /d %workdir%
> >if [%1]==[] (
> > sqlplus /nolog
> >) else (
> > sqlplus %1
> > )
>

> Will look at it thanks. Now, for your bonus question, tell me how I
> can change the working directory from within a session!! 8-)

Sqlplus (Command line version) is the best at what it does. What it's not is a Windows Explorer where you can change directories on the fly. Host command is just a narrow escape to run an OS command without leaving sqlplus session e.g. copy/delete files etc. It will NOT change the directory as you want to do... for that you are better off with the GUI version. Either store your scripts in a known directory and start your session there or simply,

  1. exit sqlplus
  2. cd to the new directory
  3. Up arrow to your last login and enter.
  4. Or get Toad or PLSQL Developer.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 18:41:37 CST