Re: cannot uninstall and reinstall oracle 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:26:50 -0800

raymondwlees_at_gmail.com wrote:

> The OS I installed is Windows 2000 SP4. Well, I thought Oracle database
> was installed, but when I click installed products button, it doesn't
> show I installed Oracle database.
>
> In select a product to install screen,
> it has 2 choices:
>
> 1) oracle database 10g products 10.1.0.2.0
> 2) Oracle database 10g Companion Products 10.1.0.2.0
>
> And everytime I select the first choice, it keep having error "oracle
> 10g database companion CD products can only be installed into an
> existing 10g oracle home."
>
> I really have no ideas what's going on. When I click services in
> administrative console, it still shows OracleCSService,
> OracleOraDb10g_home1SNMPPeerEncapsulator,
> OracleOraDb10g_home1SNMPPeerMasterAgent.
> But I already disable it. And I deleted Oralce_Home in environment
> variables

I can't see what you've done so all I can tell you is what I would do:

  1. Use ORADIM to drop the Oracle service
  2. Stop all remaining Oracle services
  3. Delete the oracle directory
  4. Delete the oracle directory under Program Files
  5. Reboot
  6. Back up the registry
  7. Carefully clean out the registry entries under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE
  8. Carefully clean out any registry entries corresponding with Oracle services still in the control panel
  9. Reboot
  10. Reinstall

Not responsible for any messes you make in your file system or the registry ... this is just what I would do.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington