Re: How can I tell if an application requires Enterprise Edition.

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:21:33 GMT

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:25:46 +0000, Jim Smith wrote:

> I have a new client who have no in-house Oracle expertise. Their
> external software developer told them they needed Enterprise Edition,
> but I am fairly sure they can get by with Standard (and save a lot of
> money in the process)
>
> Obviously, I will ask the developer why they think EE is needed, but I
> suspect they don't know. They have just done a default Next|Next|Next..
> installation and probably don't know which bits they are using are
> enterprise and which standard.

I agree as I've seen that install approach before, many times. Very prevalent these days with the 'pop the CD in before reading manuals' and 'more [feature] is better' attitude.

Are you aware of the Oracle docco that details the differences between Standard and Enterprise? (It varies by version).

> I am wondering if there is a straight forward way of detecting the use
> of Enterprise features. For example, references to OLAPSYS packages in
> the applications stored programs would mean that it is using OLAP
> features. Is this approach feasible do you think?

Your approach is reasonable, but will also vary somewhat according to version. Select from V$OPTION to get a list, but not to understand whether this is an extra priced option or (afaik) whether the 'option' is part of Enterprise. IIRC, you can also use OEM in 10g, but I don't have a quick way to check right now.

Also, one Enterprise Edition feature will never be captured this way - the capability to legally run on more than 4 CPUs.

hth/FGB Received on Fri Mar 11 2005 - 00:21:33 CST