Re: Migrate from 8.1.7 to 9.2

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:36:29 +0100

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:43:51 -0500, cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net> wrote:

>This was my first trial to migrate my 8.1.7 (patched with 8.1.7.4.1 ) to
>9.2. I was following the Oracle 9.2 migration documentation, Chpater 3.
>Becasue of the existing database, I choosed the Custom (rather than
>installing the Enterprise Server or Standalone Server) from the screen
>three (or four) of the processs. That was what steps of book said.
>However, I got a pop-up error message "9.2 database can not be installed
>on the 8.1.3 ~ 9.0 system". So what should I do for my migration
>(upgrade)? Of course there are other ways to do, But I thought since
>Oracle has devised such some tool (Upgrade addistant ) from this
>processes, I want to use it rather than other manually method. Did I do
>some wrong? Or I missed something? Search the error message on-line can
>not locate any help. Can anyone help.
>
>Chisoon

Major releases should always be installed in different Oracle_homes. Your 9.2 sw can not be installed in the 8.1 home. This should be documented. The error message you posted is probably from memory. Install 9.2 in a different Oracle_home, when prompted to choose an Oracle_home.
Please read the documentation carefully and do not start to hit buttons after you've read only a few lines.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA