Re: Any recovery after Oracle exceeds disk limits under Linux?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:28:20 GMT

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:09:12 -0800, deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hey what's with the bad attitude? We've been using oracle server on FC2
> just fine for the last 6 months. As a simple server, FC2 works well and
> is very stable. The only things that go wrong are with oracle
> initialization, and importing of oracle data.
>
> It turns out that the likely problem is with the journal, which seems
> to be unable to keep up with multiple file-size expansions that occur
> when Oracle imports and has auto-extend on the data files. I know its a
> beta, btw, that's why I am asking here.

Not a bad attitude, but a response to your generalization that 'Linux is messed up in this area' comment. Since you are using a dynamic distro, and one that is KNOWN to be a proving ground for new technology, it's simply wrong to make such a generalized comment.

You are absolutely right - as a simple server, FC2 is OK. But putting Oracle on it makes it slight more than a simple server.

So you made a silly comment. I responded similarily. However, I did also suggest that you could continue to get wierd results by using something that is known to be dynamic and I gave you a free alternative that is known to work, or at least is will justify generalization if it doesn't.

/FGB Received on Wed Mar 09 2005 - 09:28:20 CST