Re: Any recovery after Oracle exceeds disk limits under Linux?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 04:15:07 GMT

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:32:35 -0800, deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My co-worker's linux machine was importing a .dmp file and it exceeded
> the disk capacity (it was on auto-extend wit no limits), and now Linux
> is crashed and all is lost. Is this typical? It seems to be. Is there
> any hope? Its not a big deal as its only a test machine, but its a PITA
> to install it all all over again (OS and DB).

Strange.

Linux, like Unix, normally has a disk buffer zone that should be available only to root. I don't understand how an import would have the capability to use that disk area. Aside from that, you might want to look into OS-based quotas.

I'd suspect you have some other issues.

FGB Received on Mon Mar 07 2005 - 22:15:07 CST