How to change the SID

From: cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:49:01 -0500

I have a 9.2.0.5 databse set up locally. I wan to change the SID so my weblogic 8.1.4 can talk to it. Sorry I can not change Weblogic side to match Oracle side. When I look into the solutions (most of them are for 8i and before), most of them mention to change alter the controlfile so that they can be called by new SID. But how? the .ctl file under 9.2 are binary coded and can not be read. Follwoing steps were I did before I stuck.

C:\>sqplus 'sys/<password>@local as sysdba' SQL>create pfile='%path%\pfile<oldSID>.ora' from spfile='%path%\spfile<oldSID>.ora';

file created
SQL>shutdown immediate

Then i used the notepad to open the pfile<oldSID>.ora and change all the   <oldSID> to <newSID> inside the file and save as a pfile<newSID>.ora in the a new oracle\admin\newSID\ and also rename the d:\oracle\oradata\oldSID\ to d:\oracle\oradata\newSID\ where all the DBF and CTL are located.

SQL>startup pfile=d:\oracle\admin\newSID\pfile<newSID>.ora

SQL>....
error : unable to open the file
error: control file can not be located or something like such.

I can understood why error, because the new pfile includes a new CTL which can be found no where. Those new CTl files were supposely modified from old ones. But I could not modifed them. Although I have tried one with
SQL>alter database backup controlfile to trace;

As some article suggested. I really have no clue what this did. what it related to the new controlfile. Can someone give me some real steps for   this change on 9i. Thanks.

Chisoon Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 22:49:01 CST