Re: Version control of Oracle Stored Objects.

From: Andy <andrew.mcghie_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 12:45:20 -0800

Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<d0a0jo$tqj$1_at_news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>...
> Lig wrote:
> > We have an implementation of Oracle 9i database. We have a team of 20
> > developers working on a project. We use PL/SQL DEVELOPER and Visual
> > Source Safe to cotrol the source.
> >
> > The problem we have at the moment is one of version control.For the
> > moment, 2 developers can edit and compile a package.Because the package
> > is compiled on the DB Server,It is possible that a source being edited
> > by a developer could be overwritten by another.There is nothing in
> > PL/SQL that forces a user to check out and edit. We have Visual Source
> > safe fully integrated into PL/SQL Developer.But that's only as much as
> > it gets.VSS is not ORacle aware.
> >

> > Are there any products out there that can be used for Version
> > controlling Oracle Stored Objects that are Oracle Aware?
> >
> > Is there a better way of doing this?
> >
> > TIA
> > Lig
> >
> > Pl reply to
> > lignite AT iol DOT ie
>
> install the CVS interface in PL/SQL Developer:
> http://www.allroundautomations.nl/plsvcs.html

How can 2 developers edit a package when VSS is (supposedly) being used? This sounds like developers not using source control properly and editing PL/SQL on the fly. Prehaps you should get your DBA to revoke the CREATE PACKAGE/FUNCTION/PROCEDURE privilige from the developers and only let your DBA perform releases to the appropriate environments

Andy Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 14:45:20 CST