Re: Exception when using Merge in PL/SQL

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:22:27 +0100

cschang wrote:
> If I put the merger in a procedure, how does exception of PL/SQL apply
> to the merge ? Is there any special system exception for merge? Because
> merge include both insert and update, many knowledged users just
> stated that the exceptions of both process will apply.
>
> Currently our design is to drop the old table and rename the staging
> table to theold table then process from there after load the file from a
> flat file. It is quick according to our senior developer, but I suspect
> there is a fall-out, And I want to use the new MERGE to replace the
> process. How do I strengthen my arguments with him? Thanks.
>

> Chisoon

Versions would help... If anything up-to-date, replace your old table with an external table - once. You then just change the file, and merge from there.

You might want to query http://asktom.oracle.com for the term "upsert", and show the differences in execution times to your senior, and point out things have changed...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel