Scripting Jinitiator/Forms-based entire sessions?!?

From: Castravete <castravete_at_home.ro>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:46:24 -0600

Given: Oracle 11i + 9i DB + appropriate forms server.

Background: I am the network geek (no DBA/Oracle background)

Challenge: Provide information regarding end user experience, when utilizing the Jinitiator ("core apps") based applications, from Windows-basec clients <==> time various tasks, from the time the use finishes entering the query info in the forms, until the data returns in the results window

Approach: I have grabbed a scripting utility (sort of "macro recorder"), and started playing areound with it, by recording windows showing up and cursor changes, to identify the beginning and end of various tests, then recording the timings thusly obtained, in external files

Problem: method is unreliable - sometimes the windows pop-up slower than the cursor changing frmo hour glass to pointer, thus leading to attempts of menu access when not yet ready, etc.

Additional challenge: the main window spawned by Jinitiator has a handle and title I can rely upon, but the subsequent windows created in the process are not "true" Windows ... windows (does it make sense?!?), thus me not being able to control them.

Finally - the question: is anybody aware of some scripting solutions for what I described above (again - I am not talking about simple queries being scripted, I am talking about a whole process, iinvolving end user "simulated" session, from logging in, through running various queries.

TIA,
C Received on Tue Mar 01 2005 - 17:46:24 CST