Re: Problem Importing Special Characters

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2005 02:18:40 -0800

Paul Izzo wrote:
> Thanks Frank;
>
> Sorry for my lack of clarification. I didn't use the Oracle Import
> Tool to import the data. I exported the data as a SQL script not a
> .imp file or .dmp. I'll try your suggestions with setting define
off.

When you specify "Importing" in the title and post then the general conclusion is that you are using exp/imp. You should have mentioned that you have sql insert scripts instead of a dump file. You would not have run into these issues with exp/imp. Also, try running your script from Sqlplusw (GUI version) instead of command line sqlplus. Command line may not interpret ä etc correctly.

SQL> create table foo (test varchar2(25));

Table created.

SQL> set define off
SQL> insert into foo values ('S&P, Müller and Sägen');

1 row created.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> select * from foo;

TEST

S&P, Müller and Sägen

SQL> host

Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
Export done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set

About to export specified tables via Conventional Path ...

. . exporting table                            FOO          1 rows
exported
Export terminated successfully without warnings.

SQL> drop table foo;

Table dropped.

SQL> host

Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

Export file created by EXPORT:V09.02.00 via conventional path import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set . importing TEST's objects into TEST

. . importing table                          "FOO"          1 rows
imported
Import terminated successfully without warnings.

SQL> select * from foo;

TEST

S&P, Müller and Sägen

SQL> Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Mar 01 2005 - 04:18:40 CST