Re: Problem Importing Special Characters

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:31:20 +0100

Paul Izzo wrote:
> That's exactly the type of thing that I had. Now that I look back
> into the newly created database I have (ö,ä and ü) and wasn't
> prompted to do anything for them. I imported @ 250,000 records and it
> seems that it was with text looking like HELLO&.
>
> Is there a way around this? I'd like to import another 307 tables
> but don't want to be prompted to change any text.

Paul, don't jump before you understand what Dave means... Trying to import 'HELLO&' (a six-character string) into a CHAR(5) will cause truncation.

You problem is not having set the character set before importing; try using:
  set nls_lang=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

before you start the import session. Do this in the same command window, or batch file - if it works, you can alter the registry to make it universal

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel