Re: Avoid the fragmentation in 9.2

From: cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:56:04 -0500

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:19:34 -0500, cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>We have a database in 9.2.0.5.  Recently, we set up a procedure that
>>will load about 1.5 millions records into a tmp table, drop a old table
>> rename tmp to old and recreate the index on the old table.  We have to
>>do this weekly.  How can we avoid to fragment the tablespace?  Another
>>DBA told me there is restriction of TRUNCATE table for million records
>>even I use the drop storage option. IS that true?  I have searched the
>>manual and on-line, but no luck of such statement. Can any one give me
>>hints how to do this more efficiently?  Thanks
>>
>>C Chang

> Locally managed tablespaces don't fragment. Period.
> What a DBA 'told' you is a fairy tale.
> If you want to do more efficiently, ban 'temp' tables completely from
> your system. In Oracle you don't need them.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks for your advices. Since I am just a low level casual programmer using Oracle as part of job, I usually will take the words form more senior colleagues. In order to learn more and prepare myself for such argument, I am going to learn to use the external table with its loader function anyway and propose to use in such case. Hope our manager will listen.

C Chang Received on Sun Feb 27 2005 - 18:56:04 CST