Re: Oracle8 support - until when?

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2005 14:54:17 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> OTOH: why upgrade (vendor and/or Oracle) if everything
> works okay, and you have no complaints or wishes?
> What do you think the odds are you will find a new problem?

Surely you must be joking. What happens when the obsolete hardware dies and can only be replaced by something that has no O7 installation media? What happens when someone decides there _is_ a wish or complaint? You have an immediate crisis, merely because ordinary care (that is, keeping things supportable) wasn't followed.

Of course, a headhunter recently contacted me with a requirement for DEC VMS COBOL and RMS development, and I wasn't sure if she was joking (or falling for a joke), either. I can sorta remember RMS, simply because I spent so many years at it (and use a tool that can help migrating to a modern dbms), but... COBOL? I celebrated never having to use it again a quarter century ago! I am just utterly curious what sort of org can get themselves into such a dusty corner...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
And sometimes the FCC is the good guy: