Re: VB.net front end / slow queries

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:39:54 +0100

Ann via OracleMonster.com wrote:
> Sybrand,
>
> Was your reply an attempt at wit, or sarcasm? It's so hard to tell with some technical people, since so many of us think we possess a higher form of intelligence than the rest of humanity... I'll choose to assume you were trying to be witty!
>
> Here is the code for the view:
>
> CREATE VIEW view AS
> a.field1,
> a.field2,
> a.field3,
> a.field4,
> a.field5,
> a.field6,
> a.field7,
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='A'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as A
> , sum(case when b.filed2 ='B'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as B
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='C'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as C
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='D'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as D
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='E'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as E
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='F'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as F
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='G'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as G
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='H'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as H
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='I'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as I
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='J'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as J
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='K'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as K
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='L'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as L
> , sum(case when b.field2 ='M'
> then b.field3 else 0 end) as M
> FROM
> TABLE1 A LEFT JOIN TABLE2 b ON a.field1 = b.field1
> WHERE
> a.field5 ='something'
> GROUP BY
> a.field1,
> a.field2,
> a.field3,
> a.field4,
> a.field5,
> a.field6,
> a.field7
>
> The query in the VB.net code is a simple select statement from the view to display the data to the end user.
>
> I don't have the execution plan.

Sybrand is himself - not witty here, always dead serious. And knowledgeable, I might add.

Is the above a cut 'n paste job? Then there's a typo in the second case (filed; should be field).

Does field5 on table a have an index?
I assume field1 is the primary key column for both tables? Do you select all records from the view?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel