Re: Oracle on Athlon 64 Windows 64

From: Joe <good_at_bye.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:07:03 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1109263113.250793_at_yasure...
> Joe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wondered what the situation is with regard to running Oracle on the
Athlon
> > 64. Is there a 64 bit version for windows?
> > Does it work out of the box with the beta version of Windows 64?
> >
> > What sort of performance improvements (if any) have people experienced?
> >
> > I was wondering whether its worthwhile (performance and stability wise)
>
> You can find out what is available by going to store.oracle.com or
> otn.oracle.com and clicking on downloads.
>
> But why suffer the extra cost of Intel architecture when you can get
> into a 64 bit o/s for far less money with a fully supported operating
> system ... look at the Mac G5 running OS/X.

Is that spam?

Anyway, because I have a whole suite of programs running on X86 Architecture which I don't want to port.

Also what extra cost? How much does a Mac box cost to repair/upgrade compared to a beige X86
box?

No competition if its coming out of your own pocket.

I'm happy to buy AMD, thanks anyway.

Regardless, any experiences anyone?

TIA Received on Thu Feb 24 2005 - 11:07:03 CST