Re: Triggers and Window Service

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 14:12:03 -0800

LuAnn (bearpackexpress_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Well, the information needed for the external vendors can be selected
: by SQL but the information is presented for the vendors in a variety of
: ways (tagged flat file, XML and in a view) I am limited by the vendor
: as to the method of presenting the information. The view is simple.
: It is the creating of the tagged files that have my concern. FTP or
: mail is not an option. Any other suggestions?

The database can write the data out in various ways. Though I have never done this, I understand you can write a file into the server's file space directly from sql running on the server.

So - your trigger outputs anything to the file system. The windows service monitors the file system. A windows system function can wake your windows service whenever a file appears in a directory. I don't know the call to do that, but am pretty sure such a call exists.

When your service wakes then it looks up the data (or reads it from the file itself if that makes sense) and does what it needs to do.

--

This space not for rent.