Does Trim function is automatically apply to char datatype in 9i

From: cschang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:08:39 -0500

We have an old database. Some of the columns were built with char data type. We used to use the Trim() or RTRIM() to trim off the space before comparison, such as in left side of where condition ( where Trim(col1) = value). Our DBA told us that using the 9i applies the Trim automatically already so we do not need the RTrim(). Apparently that was not what I saw. I search some web sites and other places, found no mentioned about these features. Because adding the trim will cause our performance, any other way to avid to use it (besides to convert char type to varchar2 type)? Appreciate anyone’s suggestions.

C Chang Received on Fri Feb 18 2005 - 23:08:39 CST