NOT LIKE excludes NULLS

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:26:01 GMT

I'm doing a query, using NOT LIKE, but not getting the results I would like.

WHERE myfile NOT LIKE 'VAR%'

I would like for it to return ALL records that don't begin with VAR, but it excludes records with a NULL value. I'm really hoping that there is a simple work around that does not involve adding an OR clause. The application that creates the query makes it really tough to add ORs.

It will do

( clause and clause) or (clause and clause)

but won't do

clause and (clause or clause)

and there are a bunch of clauses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.