Re: How can I start and stop Oracle server manually in windows?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2005 07:33:35 -0800

Turkbear wrote:
> "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> A few people in my office use laptops that do demos of stuff that
> >uses
> >> oracle. Right now they have oracle server start up and shut down
with
> >> the operating system. If they want to stop the server manually,
they
> >go
> >> to the window's Services and shut down the Oracle-related services
> >one
> >> by one.
> >>
> >> I would like to stop the server from loading automatically, and
like
> >in
> >> Linux do something like dbstart or dbstop, so that it only
launches
> >> when I want it to.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any tips. We are using 10g and 9 and 8, if that's
> >important.
> >>
> >> Dean B.
> >
> >1) Set the services that you want to start manually to "Manual" from
> >Control Panel --> Services --> Start Type.
> >2) Create a batch script and use command "net start" to start the
> >service e.g.
> >C:\> net start OracleServiceORCL
> >C:\> net start SomeOtherService
> >Opposite of net start is net stop.
> >
> >You can also use ORACLE_HOME\bin\oradim.exe to start or shutdown the
> >database. Type oradim without any parameters to see usage.
> >
> >Regards
> >/Rauf
> Depending on the installation, shutting down the service before
shutting down the database instance it controls can be
> bad...It is a good practice to do a shutdown immediate ( or shutdown
abort..startup restricted .. shutdown normal) before
> stopping the underlying Oracle windows services..

I would agree with you in general because I do exactly that out of force of habit... even on my latop, however, Stopping the service from services or net stop calls the oradim.exe, which in turn shuts down the database depending on the SHUTDOWNTYPE flag in the registry i.e. i for Immediate etc. Unless you are against using oradim... service shutdown will follow the same steps that you have described.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:33:35 CST