Re: How can I start and stop Oracle server manually in windows?

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:19:38 -0600

"Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> A few people in my office use laptops that do demos of stuff that
>uses
>> oracle. Right now they have oracle server start up and shut down with
>> the operating system. If they want to stop the server manually, they
>go
>> to the window's Services and shut down the Oracle-related services
>one
>> by one.
>>
>> I would like to stop the server from loading automatically, and like
>in
>> Linux do something like dbstart or dbstop, so that it only launches
>> when I want it to.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips. We are using 10g and 9 and 8, if that's
>important.
>>
>> Dean B.
>
>1) Set the services that you want to start manually to "Manual" from
>Control Panel --> Services --> Start Type.
>2) Create a batch script and use command "net start" to start the
>service e.g.
>C:\> net start OracleServiceORCL
>C:\> net start SomeOtherService
>Opposite of net start is net stop.
>
>You can also use ORACLE_HOME\bin\oradim.exe to start or shutdown the
>database. Type oradim without any parameters to see usage.
>
>Regards
>/Rauf

Depending on the installation, shutting down the service before shutting down the database instance it controls can be bad...It is a good practice to do a shutdown immediate ( or shutdown abort..startup restricted .. shutdown normal) before stopping the underlying Oracle windows services.. Received on Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:19:38 CST