Performance differences, BLOB vs LONG RAW

From: Allan Jones <AllanInChina2001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2005 03:41:27 -0800

Hi Folks

Has anyone experienced a difference in performance between using LONG RAW and BLOBs when adding new records? I have a table which contains a BLOB (which will contain just a few bytes). The update performance is significantly worse using a BLOB field than if I change to using LONG RAW. I suspect that the difference may be due to Oracle returning BLOB Locators.

I'm using ADO and Oracle's ODBC driver. The record is added using

pRecordset->AddNew(vFieldList, vValueList);

where the variant parameters have been populated with indexes and data.

I don't need the BLOB Locator since this app will not access the data once it is stored but I do need better performance. Is there any way to turn off this feature?

Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Allan Received on Tue Feb 15 2005 - 05:41:27 CST