Re: how to define a pseudo auto value column in oracle?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:12:39 -0000

"Robert Wehofer" <thalion77_at_graffiti.net> wrote in message news:xLIOd.43111$2e4.19026_at_news.chello.at...
> You don't understand the problem. The problem is, that sequences don't
> allow
> database independent programming (by means of ADO). Most of database types
> do have the datatype Autovalue. Oracle don't support this datatype.

So. just as all operating systems are not the same, so all databases are not the same. If you want to be database independent - I'm sure you'll also want to avoid ADO anyway because it is highly platform dependent. If you really want to be database independent - don't use a database, after all you will be unnecessarily crippling you customers by not using the power that they paid for in the first place anyway.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA