Re: performance question

From: Jan van Veldhuizen <jan_at_van-veldhuizen.nl>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:07:49 +0100

> I have never ever seen such a generic application,usually developed
> under Sqlserver, and 'ported' to Oracle, perform successfully under
> Oracle.
> Regrettably, people like you are like nails to my coffin and my worst
> nightmare.
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

===

> Don't be afraid - your performance loss is almost guaranteed!
>
> Strongly encourage you to read chapters 1-3 of Thomas Kyte's
> "Effective Oracle By Design". Once you realize how significantly big
> of a pipe dream the idea of "no changes and no performance
> loss" is, have your manager (or the idiot who assigned this to you) read
> that as well. Perhaps it will provide a bit of stress relief and possibly
> funding when they realize how horrible this request truly is.
>
> GreyBeard

Thank you for your excellent support!

From a technical point of view you are right, and I agrree with you that using Oracle SQL dialect will provide the best results working with an Oracle DB, and using MSSql dialect will be the best with a SqlServer database.
Having said that I still have to realize that I am working with an existing application which was initially written in VB with embedded SQL only for SqlServer. On the way to a db transparant source I have to go through some stages which might be result in less performing versions, but they are only intermediate stages. My ultimate goal is to have most SQL moved to stored procedures having the possibility to achieve the best performance for any database.
Currently my first task is to get the application working for both databases by replacing the Sqlsrerver specific statements by generic SQL. Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 03:07:49 CST