Re: performance question

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:45:37 GMT

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:34:48 +0100, Jan van Veldhuizen wrote:

> The app must be available for Oracle and SqlServer.
> I am trying to avoid having different versions of sql statements, but I'm
> afraid that will result in a performance loss....

Don't be afraid - your performance loss is almost guaranteed!

Strongly encourage you to read chapters 1-3 of Thomas Kyte's "Effective Oracle By Design". Once you realize how significantly big of a pipe dream the idea of "no changes and no performance loss" is, have your manager (or the idiot who assigned this to you) read that as well. Perhaps it will provide a bit of stress relief and possibly funding when they realize how horrible this request truly is.

FGB Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 15:45:37 CST