Best way to maintain a set of test databases.

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:44:50 +0000

I need to setup and maintain a set of test databases and I am wondering what the best way to do it would be.

Given the following scenarios

1       Create database
2       Install application schema
3       Load test data set 1
4       Back it up (A)
5       Load test data set 2
6       Back it up (B)
7       Install application upgrade
8       Load test data set 3
9       Back it up (C)

etc.

At the start of a test cycle one of the backups at A,B or C needs to be loaded into the database.

The possibilities I am aware of are

exp/imp - may be a bit slow with the data volumes involved rman backup/restore of the relevant tablespace. Looking through the rman manual, tablespace point-in-time recovery looks very complicated. Is there a simpler way?
transportable tablespaces - can I remove and reattach the same tablespace at different 'ages'?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Oracle 9.2

TIA

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from