Re: A question about update and insert/delete

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:42:35 +0000

Mark D Powell wrote:
> Toim is correct in that the presence of a for each row update trigger
> would turn the bulk update into a single row update. What else may
> harm the update performance is if the java class was written such that
> the update actually updates the entire row rather than just the column
> in question. While the java code in the application may show only one
> column what actually is passed to Oracle may be different. The
> underlying classes may need to be exaimined.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Why would updating the entire row instead of just the column make it much slower, assuming only one column is actually changed? At the end of the day the entire database block is going to be altered whether you change one column or all of them. I'm confused....

DR Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 09:42:35 CST