A question about update and insert/delete

From: Amardeep Verma <addverma_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 02:03:13 -0800

Hi,

    We have a piece of JAVA code, which does heavy Insert or update.

    We have found out that a single update with a single WHERE clause (the table is indexed according to the Column given in where clause), takes more time compared to a DELETE + INSERT statement.

     Can someone please shed light on this? Therotically speaking, both the operations(INSERT & DELETE) should take roughly the same amount of time.

     Let us say that INSERT+DELETE operation takes 10 seconds, than update takes 20-30 seconds. We are using bulk updates, using Statement.addBatch() statements.
The Database is Oracle 9i

Regards,
Amardeep Verma Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 04:03:13 CST