Re: Finding index keys in a v large table that are not in a large table.

From: stephen O'D <stephen.odonnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2005 05:51:20 -0800

>Add a column "summarised_n_or_null varchar2(1) default 'N'" ­to the
>'audit' table. Build an index on it.

I was considering that option. My concern was the overhead of updating the the audit table, might outweigh my gains (that and the additional index, but in hindsight those concerns were probably quite silly), but i reckon this looks like the only viable option.

I just had a thought ... i know the maximum audit_seq number (it comes from a sequence). I wonder could I write a query to find all the sequences between X and max seq that are not in the audit_summary table, and join this with the audit table which should access each row using an index? I will have a think about how i could write that query and give it a blast. Received on Thu Feb 03 2005 - 07:51:20 CST