unixODBC: Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed

From: Adam Nielsen <nospam_at_spam.no>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:46:26 +1000

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to access a remote Oracle database through unixODBC but I can't seem to connect. I've installed the Oracle client (in /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.3/client/lib/...) and added entries to ~/.odbc.ini and I'm using the "odbcbeta2" driver to connect to Oracle. Unfortunately regardless of my settings, when attempting to connect to the database I keep getting this error:

$ isql testdb testuser testpass -v
[IM004][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV
failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Apparently this is caused by an incorrect ORACLE_HOME environment variable, but I've tried setting it to everything I could think of, moving it into odbc.ini, etc. and nothing seems to work. At the moment it's set to /usr/lib/oracle/10.1.0.3/client. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam.