Re: Help about how to start working with Oracle 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:11:59 -0800

Alan wrote:

> In MSSQL Server 2000, Enterprise Manager comes with it.
> I can use Enterprise Manager to create database, use Query Analyzer to
> create, debug stored procedure, trigger, views,...
>
> After installed the 10g, does it have these similar tools ?
>
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Alan wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am from application developement side (Delphi, C#), want to teach
>
> myself
>

>>>developing application using Oracle as backend database. I know how to
>>>manage SQL Server 2000 writing stored procedure, views, triggers but
>
> know
>

>>>nothing Oracle.
>>>How to get started working with Oracle 10g ?
>>
>>In addition to GreyBeard's advice ... go to http://www.psoug.org
>>click on Morgan's Library
>>
>>Start with the entry for anonymous blocks: They are the buiding block
>>for all PL/SQL code
>>
>>Then look at the entries for the following in roughly this order:
>>Types
>>Procedures
>>Loops
>>Functions
>>Ref Cursors
>>Packages
>>Pipelined Table Functions
>>Table Triggers
>>Instead-of Triggers
>>DDL Triggers
>>System Triggers
>>
>>You will find plenty of demos to play with.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Well thank you for top posting.

Are you aware that you are asking a question in an Oracle usenet group? Of what possible relevance is what you can or can not do in a completely different product?

One thing I can tell you for sure. Learn Oracle using some IQ numbing GUI and you will be doing the equivalent of trying to swim with one hand tied behind your back. It can be done but it won't be very effective.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington