Re: Retrieving database record with the lowest value in field aaa?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:26:05 -0800

George Dainis wrote:

> How do I code a SQL SELECT statement so that always only this record is retrieved
> which matches a certain criteria AND has the lowest ID (= value in key field aaa)?
>
> It must me something like
>
> SELECT * FROM .... WHERE somefield='somevalue' AND aaa=lowestkey(column(aaa))
>
> As a result either zero or at most 1 record should be passed back.
>
> George

I am going to assume, given that you have posted this to every usenet group you can spell, among them comp.databases.oracle.misc, microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming, comp.databases.oracle, and comp.databases.ibm-db2, that you are trying to find someone to do your homework for you.

The optimal solution will vary by product and even version so posting as you have says something about what you are trying to do.

As we don't do other people's homework for them and you seemingly have made no attempt to solve this on your own ... go talk to your faculty advisor about what you have done and ask for help there.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington