Re: TO_TIMESTAMP_TZ and unix timestamps

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:33:53 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:19:18 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>The problem with trying to take into account daylight savings time
>>is that it doesn't actually exist. Well it may where you live. But
>>it doesn't in many countries, in some states, and even in some parts
>>of some states. How's the poor CPU to know?
>>
>>I think you'll have to write this one yourself using local rules.
>>--

> No, you can set DST in the TZ variable.
> If the Unix time is incorrect it means the sysadmin has an incorrect
> TZ variable set.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I think you are assuming that everyone in a specific timezone has the same DST rules which is not the case in the US.

http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html#INDIANA

For example and there are others. And yes it is ridiculous. But hey ... we have a few cities in the US, or should I say partially in the US, where when you cross the street you are in Canada. And there are even some houses where you can cross the border simply by walking down the hall.

So while the server may be correct in its physical location the data may not be.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington