Re: TO_TIMESTAMP_TZ and unix timestamps

From: SuperMega <jagacontest_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2005 06:06:27 -0800

My timezone is set to 'EST'
which is a valid timezone, i have experimanted with seting it to others with no change in my TO_TIMESTAMP_TZ results.

Time Zone Parameters for Databases and Sessions Database Time Zone Parameter
There are two ways to create a Database with a specific time zone:

  1. By specifying a displacement from UTC (Coordinated Universal Time-formerly Greenwich Mean Time). The following example sets the time zone of the database to Pacific Standard time (8 hours earlier than UTC): CREATE DATABASE ... SET TIME_ZONE = '-08:00 ';
  2. By specifying a time zone region. To see a listing of valid region names, query the V$TIMEZONE_NAMES dynamic performance view. The following example also sets the time zone of the database to Pacific Standard time in the U.S.: CREATE DATABASE ... SET TIME_ZONE = 'PST '; Note: The database time zone is only relevant for TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE columns. Oracle normalizes all TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE data to the time zone of the database when the data is stored on disk. If you do not specify the SET TIME_ZONE clause, Oracle uses the operating systems time zone of the server.
  3. After the database has been created, the time zone can be changed with the ALTER DATABASE SET TIME_ZONE statement and then shutdown and startup the database. The change will not take effect until the database is bounced. The following example sets the time zone of the database to London time:

ALTER DATABASE SET TIME_ZONE = 'Europe/London ';

4. To find out the time zone of a created database, use the DBtime zone built-in SQL function as shown in the following SQL*Plus example: