Re: How to increased by exactly 1 ?

From: G Quesnel <dbaguy_ott_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2005 13:31:01 -0800

I wasn't going to jump in, but why not.
I think that the point would be to support the business process, and occasionally, help the people defining the requirements ensuring that what they asks for is really what they want (we all know this). The problem I have with your example is that it appears to lead to only one answer.
What happens if after installing 2000 mail boxes in various rooms, mail boxes 200-250 are replaced with boxes that are twice as large or half the size. Will the client request a renumbering of all mail boxes, or will they tolerate that the sequence be broken. It will probably be a strugle between client impact and cost of either solution. When we talk about accounting and auditing, the situation can be appear to be one sided, but then again it really isn't. Back to your example ... if we presume that there are no holes in the sequence of item, but it just so happens that the client is legitemately ordering parts 1001,1002,1003,1004,1006,1007,1008,1009 (they don't want part 1005), then you can see that there might be a high probability of erroneously sending that part.

my 2 cents Received on Tue Jan 25 2005 - 15:31:01 CST