Re: Installing Oracle on a single Windows Machine

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2005 08:13:04 -0800

John F. Regus wrote:
> I have received the following advice and I am trying to sort it out:
> I am to create a domain in the hosts file, which I know how to do. I
can
> create a hosts file and use the machines IP address which is always
> 127.0.0.1 in the host files and call it localhost.com.
> Another person said just use sales (or whatever) and just go on. If
that is
> the case how do I bypass all of naming a network requirements of the
> installation?
>
> I would not be asking these questions but I have tried all of the
other
> things (I think) already, and I still end up with a bad install.
>
> Any further help would appreciated and greatly welcomed from someone
who has
> had to go through this before, and suffered like I am in frustration.
>
> Thanks,
> JR
>
> Another answer was just to create sales (actually orcl the default
for
> Oracle installation) without a domain. I have done that in the past
and the
> rest of the installation went sour.
> "Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> wrote in message
> > "John F. Regus" <jfregus_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >> I have read Oracle Installation Guide for Windows and the part
about
> >> installing Windows on a single machine.
> >>
> >> In the documentation it states the name of the database (an it
uses an
> >> example like sales.yourdomain.com)
> >>
> >> If I am installing Oracle on a single Windows XP platform, I don't
have a
> >> domain. I may be connected to a internet provider but I doubt
seriously
> > if
> >> I could just create sales.earthlink.com.
> >>
> >> What do I do? Create sales.localhost?
> >
> > Create sales. Adding a domain name will cause you problems.
> >
> >> I have been all through the documentation but I cannot find a
single
> >> thing
> >> about resolving this particular obstacle.

I think you should start with a simple approach first i.e. Install Oracle and create a simple database. This can all be done using the installer... just choose the option to install the starter database. As far as the database name goes... just keep it simple like TEST or ORCL etc. No need to give any domain names.

BTW... what are you doing updating your hosts file? Normally you don't need to. I have an XP laptop and I only have one entry in my hosts file,
127.0.0.1 localhost
I run it at my work and home with out any issues. I have 3 Oracle versions installed 8i, 9i and 10g all with one database each named as LOC817, LOC920 and LOC101. I make local connections to these and if I want anyone else to connect remotely, I start the listener for that.

Trust me... it is not complicated as you are trying to make it to be. Just read the docs and follow the steps. If you have good understanding of the OS you are installing Oracle on... then you should not have any major issues.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Sun Jan 23 2005 - 10:13:04 CST