Re: How to increased by exactly 1 ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:21:01 -0800

Den wrote:

> The system need to auto generate the Control Code column for the items. The
> business rule is that the system should have an option to assign the lowest
> next available Control Code for the new item created.

I think you are misreading or misinterpreting the business rules to your own detriment. Reconsider your assumptions as to what it is asking.

Pay special attention to "auto generate" to "option to assign the lowest next available." It doesn't say that it MUST be the lowest next available. And what would you do if your numbering sequence produced:

1
2
3
4
..
100,000

and someone deleted row #2?

Create another 2 and have a likely referential integrity issue?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington