Re: To_char ('IW') format element

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:21:22 +0100

"Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> a écrit dans le message de news:LWBHd.11135$Vj3.736_at_newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
| I'm looking for clarification of the 'IW' format element. The docs say it
| is based on the ISO standard, but I haven't been able to find further
| information. It's rather obvious if Jan falls on a Monday, week 1 begins
| the same day. But, what if Jan 1 falls on a Tuesday? Does week 1 begin
| that day, or the following Monday?

From Database Globalization Support Guide, section First Calendar Week of the Year: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96529/ch3.htm#50331

An ISO week always starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday.

If January 1 falls on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, then the ISO week that includes January 1 is the last week of the previous year, because most of the days in the week belong to the previous year.
If January 1 falls on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, then the ISO week is the first week of the new year, because most of the days in the week belong to the new year.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Wed Jan 19 2005 - 23:21:22 CST