Re: ORDER BY in View's subquery

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:55:24 -0800

tncc wrote:

> The student guide for Introduction to Oracle9i: SQL mentioned that "the
> subquery that defines the view cannot contain an ORDER BY clause" (chap
> 11-8). But I tested this with 9iR2 and the ORDER BY is allowed?! Is this
> just a difference between 9iR1 and 9iR2? Or is there something I am missing
> and a view's query really cannot have an ORDER BY ?
>
> Thx for any advice

What you are running into is one of the major reasons I don't like the OCP and why those that have one get little respect when applying for employement: Many of the OCP answers, and the books and study materials supporting it, are inaccurate.

In that same book I have highlighted many examples of answers that are just are not valid.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington