Re: Access to Oracle: Converting Autonumber fields

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:42:49 -0800

michaelgooding_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>><SORRY TO BE HARSH BUT>
>>Nothing good happens without some effort. If the above is too much

> for
>
>>you then you should find another occupation.
>></SORRY TO BE HARSH BUT>

> Oooh, you bitch ! I suppose I was just surprised there wan't an Oracle
> equivalent data type. And it's far too late for me to change careers,
> although I did always fancy being a train driver ...
> Mike Gooding

There is no equivalent data type and for that many of us are very very grateful. The reason is that autonumbering has no place in a relational database ... something Joe Celko has pointed out numerous times.

Autonumbering, by its very nature, can not do what a sequence can do. So by using sequences you get scalability, performance, and full relational and object integrity. You might note that one of the first things IBM did to Informix, after they bought the product, was to add sequences.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington