Re: Oracle Installation in Text mode -- I.e. No GUI

From: Frank Piron <empty_at_zero.nil>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:16:38 +0100

Am Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:13:28 +0100 schrieb Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>:

> [snip]
>
> But VNC does nothing more or less than controlling
> the screen, does it? That would still require a GUI
> running on the server side.

VNC comes with it's own X-Server. So all you see if you connect to vnc is an x-term. But there is no need of an additional X-server on the (database) server side.

After vnc is installed you may connect to the server with telnet and type:

$ vncserver [maybe additional options]

Then you start vncviewer from your win32 machine and connect to vnc. As an alternative you may contact the vncserver with your web browser. This is an option if you install vnc. You simply have to put a java class somewhere on the CLASSPATH.

--
Frank Piron,
defrankatkonaddot