Re: Backing up intro please

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2005 11:21:28 -0800

ORACLE is not ACCESS. It really isn't made for personal use, so there aren't too many step-by-step processes written for it. You really have to look deeper in the documentation. So if you think there might be something you might miss, try restoring the DB on another machine. If you cannot get it back to the same state as the original, then you did miss something. The one rule of backups is that they do not work until you actually complete a good DB restore!

Also, even if I gave you my backup/restore process, it might not work for you. You run windows, we run LINUX. You run on a home PC, we run on a production server in a remote location. You likely use one IDE drive, we run with multiple SCSI drives. You back up to CDROM, we back up to hotswappable drives (and other media).You want incremental backups, we
(on some machines) backup the entire system (OS and everything). You do
your backups whenever you feel like it, we do our backups on a regular schedule.

What I'm saying is (and actually you know this already), you need to try it. You have one strategy now (Backup: export whole DB, Restore: install ORACLE, create DB, import whole DB). You want to incorporate an enhanced strategy involving incremental backups. You have to balance the tradeoff between more frequent big backups and easier restores, and more frequent small incremental backups and longer restores.

So try it. and if you cannot complete a successful TEST restore, then come back with some more specific questions and details.

We really do want to help, but ORACLE is not a tool that lends itself to handholding.

  Ed
(remember, complete the cycle and restore it.)