Re: Oracle Application Server vs. Apache+Tomcat vs.built-in Java

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:55:34 GMT

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:08:22 +0100, Rick Denoire wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was requested to install and maintain OAS in order to enable an
> environment for Web based database applications using Java technology,
> mostly Applets, and perhaps Servlets.
>
> I am convinced that the developers do not really need such a big
> animal, but I can't mention the reasons.
>
> Shouldn't Apache+Tomcat be enough? Which would be the conceptual
> disadvantages of this simpler solution then?

I do not see that as a simpler solution.

However, there may be a significant misconception. The Oracle Application Server 10g Java Edition is exactly what you describe. Not much extra overhead and not much additional complexity.

Are you sure you are not looking at the clustered capability (which requires Application Server 10g Infrastructure) or the Standard or Enterprise Editions which add a lot of capability at the cost of complexity.

/Hans Received on Sun Jan 09 2005 - 16:55:34 CST