Oracle Application Server vs. Apache+Tomcat vs.built-in Java

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:08:22 +0100

Hello

I was requested to install and maintain OAS in order to enable an environment for Web based database applications using Java technology, mostly Applets, and perhaps Servlets.

I am convinced that the developers do not really need such a big animal, but I can't mention the reasons.

Shouldn't Apache+Tomcat be enough? Which would be the conceptual disadvantages of this simpler solution then?

I am not specially aware of the extra functionality offered by the OAS beyond the Servlet capability, but some could exist which could be raised by the developers as an unconditional argument to support the use of the OAS. I need the contra-arguments. I try not to use tools that are more complicated that needed.

In my opinion, if no other Oracle tools are being used, then there is no real need for OAS. Well, at least if you are not going to deal with hundreds of users of your Internet Application spread all over the world. The application itself should fulfill high security standards, but is comparably small, does not use distributed components, does not need any interaction with other applications. In one word, is has a simple architecture.

By the way, isn't Oracle itself able to run Java? So why should one need anything else (besides Apache itself) at all? (I mean, not even Tomcat should be needed then).

Any comments before I dive into the lengthy OAS documentation? (at this time, I only need some general orientation).

Thanks a lot!

Rick Denoire Received on Sun Jan 09 2005 - 14:08:22 CST