column length for LPAD

From: dbyy <noname_at_fooled.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:39:15 GMT

hi Everyone,

I know this is a good place to ask my question and I hope I will get an answer.

I would like to create a string in PL/SQL code in a length determined by the length of a column in a table to use it like the following code sample:

v_cTmp VarChar2(100)
IF :new.col01 IS NULL
THEN
  v_cTmp := <space_in_the_length_of_column_xy>

or:
IF :new.col15 IS NULL
THEN
  v_cTmp := <LPAD, :new.col2, <space_in_the_length_of_column_xy>, '0')

I don't know to describe my problem in a better way but I hope you guys understand what I want to accomplish.
If you need more info please let me know.

I would like to execute this on Oracle V9.2

Many thanks in advance
Fred

PS: is there possibly something already posted on asktom? Received on Wed Jan 05 2005 - 22:39:15 CST