Re: Will ROWID change during DB Runing??

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2005 06:18:03 -0800

In article <crdbkt$qg3_at_netnews.proxy.lucent.com>, Grant Zhou says...

>Hans,
>Thanks very much!
>I am reading the books you mentioned.
>
>But I only want to get one answer:
>Will the ROWID change for a record if we only update the data? T/F
>:?
>Best Regards,
>Grant

if you "enable row movement" -- yes, it can change due to a simple update (believe someone posted that with an update to a partition key)

with IOTs the "rowid" is a fake one, updating the primary key will change the "rowid" of an IOTs

in 10g - lots more stuff let you use enable row movement to do things -- so yes, the ability for a rowid to change over time will become more and more frequent

--
Thomas Kyte
Oracle Public Sector