Re: Will ROWID change during DB Runing??

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:16:27 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:44:02 +0800, Grant Zhou wrote:

> Hans,
> Thanks,
> Here is the version info.
>
> DB Server:
> OS: Solaris 2.8
> Oralce: ORACLE 8.1.7
>
> App Server:
> OS: Solaris 2.7
> Oracle Lib: 8.1.6
> The application connect to the DB server via 100M intra network card.
>
> There are four processes, each process have 6 threads, each thread connect
> to the DB with one seperate session.
> There are about 240 x 2 query per second and 240 update per second.
> No insert and delete operations.
>
> Regards,
> Grant

Can I assume your 'processes' and 'threads' are C or C++.

Two things come to mind:

  1. Since you referenced the Oracle Server 7 docco - is the RowId declared using the Oracle 7 definition? There is a change in size between Oracle7 and Oracle8.
  2. Is there any cross-talk between the threads in the processes? One way to check - does the same problem happen when you throttle back to 1 process & 1 thread? Then, if not, check multiple processes but 1 tread each.

Your description is pretty vague, but it reminds me of some systems with commits inside loops which then attempt to read the changed record based on rowid after the commit. If this comes anywhere close, I strongly encourage getting a copy of "Expert One-On-One Oracle" as you potentially have a _lot_ of inefficiencies, many of which are described in the book. (Is this a port from another RDBMS?)

Also - a billing process? Sounds mission-critical ... hopefully you will be moving up to a fully supported version of Oracle soon <g>

/Hans Received on Mon Jan 03 2005 - 20:16:27 CST